Healthy Snacks for Kids That Are Good for Their Teeth
When it comes to snacking, our children are pro’s. They can turn almost anything into a snack and in their minds, if it tastes good, it is good for them. As parents, we know better and we want what’s best for our children.
Research has shown that there is nothing wrong with children snacking throughout the day. In fact, it can help boost their metabolism and provide the nutrition their growing bodies need. That is, provided the snacks are healthy, low fat and low sugar i.e. not sweets, crisps and whatever else they reach for in the cupboard.
Encouraging your children to eat healthy snacks isn’t as difficult as it sounds; you just have to make them look appealing and taste good.
Most children will eat a bowl of fruit or veggies if it is colourful and has some sort of low-fat dip to go with it. With that being said, let’s take a look at some healthy snacks that are good for your children’s teeth and that they will want to reach for next time they are hungry.
5 Snacks That Are Tooth Friendly:
- Leafy Greens– leafy greens provide a wide range of nutrients that are good for you. Kale, spinach and other greens are high in folic acid and B vitamins that promote tooth health and can help prevent gum disease
- Apples– for a sweet snack, apples are very good for your teeth. Although apples are highly acidic, the natural sugars contained within apples actually help neutralise harmful acids in the mouth. Eating an apple causes your mouth to salivate and the additional saliva rinses away any bacteria and food particles in your mouth keeping your teeth healthy
- Carrots and celery– full of vitamins and high in fiber, carrots and celery also cause you to salivate more and the additional saliva is beneficial for tooth and gum health
- Cheese– children love cheese and it provides some much needed calcium that is good for their teeth and bones. Cheese also raises the pH in your mouth which help lowers the risk of tooth decay
- Kid-Friendly Recipe Homemade Ice Lolly: See below for details
To make a simple and delicious frozen treat for your children, you will need a few ingredients and your favourite ice lolly mould. You can have your child help you with this easy homemade ice lolly recipe which will make them want these frozen treats even more!
- 2 cups of low sugar fruit juice (either apple or grape works well for this recipe)
- 1 cup of sliced fruit (you can use grapes, mandarin oranges, berries, watermelon or any of your child’s favourite fruits)
- In a large mixing bowl, add 2 cups of low sugar fruit juice.
- Chop your fruit into small, bite size pieces retaining the fruit’s natural juices.
- Mix the chopped fruit into the juice and carefully pour into the ice lolly moulds.
- Freeze for 8 hours.
- To help the ice lollies release from the moulds, dip the bottom of the moulds into warm water for a couple of seconds.
Now your child can enjoy a healthy frozen snack on those hot days and you don’t have to worry about how much sugar is in them! If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it on your favorite social media sites.